What you need to know about flood insurance - AmericaNowNews.com

What you need to know about flood insurance

Dealing with insurance can be frustrating, but it can save you a lot of grief -- and money -- in the event of an emergency. When it comes to flood insurance, some agents may tell you that you don't qualify because you don't live in a "flood zone."

According to the folks at FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program, 25 percent of all flood claims occur in moderate-to-low risk flood areas.

You should know that even if you are not in a government-declared flood zone, you could be eligible for government-backed flood insurance sold directly through an insurance agent.

First, click here to link to the NFIP's web page for the basics on flood insurance policies and the NFIP's risk calculator:  http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/residential_coverage/understanding_the_basics.jsp.

Look for the "One-Step Flood Risk Profile" calculator on the right side of the page. Type in your address, and it will rate your risk, estimate your premiums and even connect you with agents who sell the government-backed policies.

You can also see what preferred risk and standard risk flood policies cover here:  http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/residential_coverage/whats_covered.jsp

Get a broad idea of premium rates here:  http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/residential_coverage/policy_rates.jsp

The NFIP said moderate-to-low-risk consumers may qualify for a preferred risk policy. Premiums for that policy start as low as $119 a year. But there are separate deductibles for building losses and content losses. You should also expect a 30-day waiting period from the date you apply before a preferred risk policy can take effect.

Depending on your risk profile, you may be required to buy what's called an elevation certificate. The certificate proves the elevation of your house's lowest floor relative to the ground. It's typically only necessary for higher flood risk areas.

If your home is in a high-flood risk area and you have a federally-insured mortgage, you are required by law to have flood insurance. Ask your agent.

By the way, if your auto policy includes comprehensive coverage, it should cover any flood damage to your vehicle. 

Copyright 2011 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Fugitive Friday: Central Virginia's Most Wanted

    Fugitive Friday: Central Virginia's Most Wanted

    Friday, August 29 2014 10:04 AM EDT2014-08-29 14:04:54 GMT
    Fugitive Fridays tracks down Central Virginia's most wanted. Take a look at the photos and see if you can help police track down these suspects.
    Fugitive Friday helps track down Central Virginia's Most Wanted.
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
Powered by WorldNow