Preventing a silent and odorless killer: Radon -

Preventing a silent and odorless killer: Radon

It is something everyone who owns a home should be concerned with: Radon. The dangers are real, but the solution is an easy one. But you can't begin to protect your family until you know what you are up against.

Radon doesn't smell, it is invisible and if it is prevalent in your home it is literally killing the people exposed to it.

John and Sherry Petersik operate the internationally renowned "do it yourself" blog, "Young House Love."  Despite the notoriety that the blog brings their home improvements, they insist that when it comes to radon, they are no different than anyone.

"Gosh, if radon is this silent, odorless killer then maybe we should test for that," Sherry Petersik recalls thinking at the time they moved into their first house.

The Petersiks have owned two houses in Virginia, both featured projects on their blog. As they were painting walls and reconditioning floors, they decided take a radon test and stick it in their home.

"We just wanted the box checked off, 'no radon,'" John said.

But the results weren't good.

"It said anything over a 4 is dangerous," said Sherry. "You have a 10! And I was like 'oh my gosh' we are going to die tonight!"

The Petersiks' home was like one in three homes in America, above the recommended level of radon. Radon is a naturally occurring gas that escapes from uranium deposits under the earth. It is a serious problem that Ryan Paris from the Virginia Department of Health believes needs to be addressed.

"The primary risk is thought to be an increase risk of lung cancer over a very long exposure period," said Paris.

And it is easy to be subjected to the gas for a long time, because you can't see it or smell it.

"You can't detect it with any of your senses," Paris said.  

So in order to determine if your home is at risk, you have to test. The test is an initial investment of $5 to $15 at your local hardware store. The best place test for radon is in the lowest liveable point in your house.

But no matter how bad the results look, the solution is not all that difficult. 

On two different occasions, in both of their "Young House Loves," the Petersiks installed a radon abatement system. It was installed in a day and radon is no longer anything they have to worry about.

"The only damage done to the house was there is one pipe that runs through the closet," said John. "But you don't even see it."

With the radon problem behind them, a second time, the Petersiks can go back to paint and cabinets. Those are the kind of home improvements that you can see and smell and make home ownership, well, lovely.

Radon abatement is somewhat of an investment. It can cost up to $5,000, but once you put it in you don't ever have to worry about it again.

Copyright 2011 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
  • Mouse droppings cause disease

    Mouse droppings cause respiratory disease

    Mice are one of the most resilient mammals living on the planet. Some people have them as pets, and they're also used in laboratory experiments. If wild mice get inside your house, they can potentially
    If wild mice find a way inside your home, they can potentially cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your drywall and insulation. They can also transmit a harmful disease which can cause death in humans. 
Powered by WorldNow