Carbon monoxide detector could save your life - AmericaNowNews.com

Carbon monoxide detector could save your life

Lorraine Cooper thought her apartment building was on fire when she heard someone beating on the door to get her attention. It wasn't a fire, but it could have been just as deadly.

Cooper lives upstairs from where investigators say carbon monoxide fumes seeped from an apartment.

"It scared me because it seemed like I was just in a deep sleep," said Cooper.

Investigators say Cooper's neighbors were using a charcoal grill, but brought it inside the apartment before it completely cooled off.

One of the children in the home alerted their parents when they woke up feeling sick. That's when they called 911.

According to Fire Captain Mike Basnight, "Anything that produces carbon monoxide should not be used in or near an enclosed structure."

According to a county ordinance where this occurred, all houses, apartments, condos and townhouses are required to have working carbon monoxide detectors. Investigators say the unit where this all started didn't have one.

The best way to protect yourself is to have your heating system, vents and chimney tested, inspected and cleaned by a qualified technician every year.

Copyright 2011 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
  • Mouse droppings cause disease

    Mouse droppings cause respiratory disease

    Mice are one of the most resilient mammals living on the planet. Some people have them as pets, and they're also used in laboratory experiments. If wild mice get inside your house, they can potentially
    If wild mice find a way inside your home, they can potentially cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your drywall and insulation. They can also transmit a harmful disease which can cause death in humans. 
Powered by WorldNow