Checking the air quality in your home -

Checking the air quality in your home

Beverley Rodgers' dream home became more of a health hazard for her family after mold took over in 2004.

"I went into the living room and had eucalyptus with white stuff on it and it was fuzzy and I saw visible mold on the wall paper and tracked it down to the air conditioning vents," Rodgers said.

Rodgers says after having her old air conditioner replaced, she found out the speed tap was not set properly causing very high levels of humidity in her home.

Rodgers says along with the high levels of moisture in her home came high levels of mold.

"I had air samples to show me how bad it was and eventually we had to have the house essentially demolished the only thing we kept was the brick, roof and studs," Rodgers said.

Richard Bennett, an air quality testing technician, says the mold can amplify and moisture will cause it to grow and cause extensive damage to the structure and increase the health effects

Rodgers blames the mold in her home for her son having to have three nasal surgeries and her persistent cough.

"It can cause permanent brain damage and permanent respiratory damage," said Industrial Hygienist Ralph Wilson.

"Mold growth can manifest itself as black,green,or pink and signs of water staining or damage could be a sign that you have hidden mold," Wilson said.

Rodgers says the company she hired to replace her old AC unit denies any wrongdoing.

Rodgers says she had to pay more than $500,000 out of pocket to have her home restored.

"Insurance would not cover the damage due to the fact that someone else was at fault," Rodgers said.

Bennett says although mold can be dangerous for anyone, the most vulnerable are children and the elderly.

Here are three very important ways to detect if your house has mold:

 1. Launch a search operation. Mold can look furry or it give the impression of a ‘stain' or ‘yellowing.'

 2. Do your windows fog up during winter? This excess humidity can cause mold.

 3. Use your sense of smell. That stale odor means mold. But beware--some dangerous molds are actually fragrance-free.

Copyright 2011 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Fugitive Friday: Central Virginia's Most Wanted

    Fugitive Friday: Central Virginia's Most Wanted

    Friday, August 29 2014 10:04 AM EDT2014-08-29 14:04:54 GMT
    Fugitive Fridays tracks down Central Virginia's most wanted. Take a look at the photos and see if you can help police track down these suspects.
    Fugitive Friday helps track down Central Virginia's Most Wanted.
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
Powered by WorldNow