Make sure your leftovers are safe to eat - AmericaNowNews.com

Are leftovers safe to eat?

Leftovers can be an added bonus to a big meal, but they can also make you very sick if you don't handle the food properly.  

When a lot of friends and family get together, it's easy to let the food sit out too long, leaving a perfect opportunity for bacteria to grow.

"I think that's a possibility," said Patient First Dr. Scott Greenfield. "There are some foods such as salads. If they're not properly refrigerated that can cause food poisoning."

Dr. Greenfield says salmonella and e coli can quickly turn food bad, turning your stomach too. If you think you may have food poisoning, symptoms to watch out for include: nausea, throwing up, diarrhea, cramps, and fever.

"The biggest concern is when they become dehydrated," added Dr. Greenfield. "When you get dehydrated, you can get dizzy and your blood pressure could drop and all sorts of things can happen."

The FDA says we should keep leftovers no more than four days. Dr. Greenfield says kids, pregnant women, and the elderly are at the highest risk for food poisoning. He advises anyone who has symptoms for more than 24 hours to see a doctor.

Copyright 2012 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
  • Mouse droppings cause disease

    Mouse droppings cause respiratory disease

    Mice are one of the most resilient mammals living on the planet. Some people have them as pets, and they're also used in laboratory experiments. If wild mice get inside your house, they can potentially
    If wild mice find a way inside your home, they can potentially cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your drywall and insulation. They can also transmit a harmful disease which can cause death in humans. 
Powered by WorldNow