Snake bite causes severe injury to child - AmericaNowNews.com

Snake bite causes severe injury to child

Ansley Crabtree says she immediately knew when her nephew, Zach Szala, had been bitten by a rattlesnake. 

She had taken Zach along with his sister and their two cousins to Wannamaker Park near Charleston, S.C. Zach ran off the path and landed on a rattlesnake, which bit him twice in the lower leg. 

He immediately began to lose consciousness and had trouble breathing. 

"This whole thing has been surreal because you only see these things on TV," says Ansley.   

She took a picture of the snake, which was barely visible against the brown leaves. 

Doctors later told her it was a timber rattlesnake. Judging  by the two-inch bite, the snake was probably about six feet long. 

Zach was rushed to a hospital and Crabtree says he received more than 30 vials of anti-venom, but still could not breathe on his own or even open his eyes. He spent several weeks at the hospital and underwent extensive therapy to regain his abilities to eat on his own and walk with assistance. 

The hospital said it was the worst bite they had seen. 

Dr. Keith Borg said that in general, "there are only five or six deaths from rattlesnake bites in the United States per year and that's a lot of different bites, so it's rarely fatal and you can usually make an excellent recovery with the anti-venom." 

Crabtree said that she wanted all parents to be aware of the valuable lesson she learned that day, that "there are poisonous snakes out there and not to let their kids go off the path." 

Copyright 2012 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
  • Three indicted in Cleveland store clerk murder, other hold-ups

    Three indicted in Cleveland store clerk murder, other hold-ups

    Thursday, January 9 2014 4:27 PM EST2014-01-09 21:27:48 GMT
    Three men have been indicted for aggravated murder and 35 other charges. The charges related to a series of hold-ups at businesses. Victor Flourney, Deshawn Terrell and Shawntez Giles have been indicted.
    Three men have been indicted for aggravated murder and 35 other charges. The charges related to a series of hold-ups at businesses. Victor Flourney, Deshawn Terrell and Shawntez Giles have been indicted.
  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
Powered by WorldNow