"Air freshener" is actually a dangerous drug - AmericaNowNews.com

Safety

"Air freshener" is actually a dangerous drug

A dangerous drug called "Zannie" has made its way onto the party scene.

Dr. Mark Ryan with the Louisiana Poison Center says "Zannie" is marketed as an air freshener.

But when he had the substance tested, the results showed it was 100 percent Phenazepam.

He says Phenazepam is a drug that is used in other countries for medicinal uses and is not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

"If you use it by itself, you can get yourself in trouble," Ryan notes. "If you use it with something else -- alcohol, pain meds, antidepressants, sleep medication like Ambien -- it can become lethal quickly. Phenazepam is very similar to Xanax and Valium, which are prescribed in the United States."

While some states are making efforts to ban the drug altogether, it can still be found on the Internet.

Copyright 2012 America Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow