Toddlers accidentally ingesting hand sanitizer - AmericaNowNews.com

Health

Some toddlers accidentally ingesting hand sanitizer

Little hands, big reach. Even simple household products can be dangerous for curious toddlers.

In the past year, Hawaii's Poison Control Center has tracked dozens of cases of young children accidentally ingesting hand sanitizer. The good news is, the health department says there have been no deaths or serious injuries to toddlers.

But there are risks.

Genelle Partain and her two-year-old daughter, U'i, splashed on the hand sanitizer just before going to the park.

"We washed our hands before we came to the park, and when we're out and about or at soccer or activities, we use it after," says Partain.

But she keeps the product out of reach of her children. "We won't let her hold it or anything," adds Partain.

Since the beginning of 2011, Hawaii poison control has received about 80 reports of children under age five accidentally swallowing alcohol-based sanitizers.

Hawaii State Toxicologist Barbara Brooks says, "If a toddler accidentally licked their hands with hand sanitizers, it's unlikely that there would be any toxicity, so it's okay to use. But as far as kids accidentally getting into the hand sanitizers, parents have to be aware that they do contain a lot of alcohol."

Most are more than 60 percent alcohol. A one-ounce bottle equals one-and-a-half shots of vodka.

Debbie Castillio never uses the product on her grandson, Jeremiah.

"He always has his hands in his mouth, no matter where, I don't usually use a sanitizer - only because of the alcohol that's in it," she explains.

Amy McDonald uses it sparingly, but if anything should ever happen to her toddler, Arianna, she knows exactly what the health department recommends.

"I would call the poison control, and probably, depending on how much they took, take them to the ER," says McDonald.

Poison control adds that, if a toddler appears intoxicated, go to your healthcare provider immediately - and like any potentially dangerous product, prevention is key.

"[Parents] should lock [sanitizers] up and keep them where a child can't get into them," advises Brooks.

Health officials remind people that, when used correctly, hand sanitizers are very effective in killing germs and preventing illness.

Copyright 2012 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
  • Mouse droppings cause disease

    Mouse droppings cause respiratory disease

    Mice are one of the most resilient mammals living on the planet. Some people have them as pets, and they're also used in laboratory experiments. If wild mice get inside your house, they can potentially
    If wild mice find a way inside your home, they can potentially cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your drywall and insulation. They can also transmit a harmful disease which can cause death in humans. 
Powered by WorldNow