Open wounds vulnerable to rare flesh-eating bacteria - AmericaNowNews.com

Health

Open wounds vulnerable to rare flesh-eating bacteria

Elizabeth Marler isn't phased by the scar on her left hand and arm, nor the fact that her hand is not fully functional.

"He had to cut that all out and that is why I have this big scar. But who cares? I've got my life," she says.

Marler contracted a very rare, but serious flesh-eating bacteria that destroys human tissue.

Necrotizing fasciitis can occur when bacteria enters a wound, such as an insect bite, a burn, or a cut. Marler was bitten by her cat, which caused the opening for the bacteria to enter.

"She came down and put her teeth into my hand, and I popped her and that's what opened the place," says Marler.

Her hand blew up and she was rushed into surgery four days later.

The risk of getting this infection is higher if you have a weak immune system, like Marler, who has a blood disorder called Milo fibrosis.

"I am just lucky that I have my hand and my arm, and I have read that one out of four people that get this necro fasciitis dies. It travels that fast," says Marler.

Early treatment of necrotizing fasciitis is critical. The sooner treatment begins, the more likely you will recover from the infection and avoid serious complications, such as limb amputation or death.

"I just want people to be more aware of bacteria and to know that this is out there," says Marler.

Copyright 2012 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Fugitive Friday: Central Virginia's Most Wanted

    Fugitive Friday: Central Virginia's Most Wanted

    Friday, July 18 2014 12:10 PM EDT2014-07-18 16:10:28 GMT
    Fugitive Fridays tracks down Central Virginia's most wanted. Take a look at the photos and see if you can help police track down these suspects.
    Fugitive Friday helps track down Central Virginia's Most Wanted.
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
Powered by WorldNow