Mold dangers not always visible to the eye - AmericaNowNews.com

YourHome

Mold dangers not always visible to the eye

  • YourHomeMold dangers not always visible to the eyeMore>>

  • Removing mold from your home could improve its value and the air

    Removing mold from your home could improve its value and the air

    Maintaining the outside of your home is just as important as keeping it clean inside. Ignoring a mold and mildew problem will not only affect a homeowner's property value, but it can make some people really sick.
    Maintaining the outside of your home is just as important as keeping it clean inside. Ignoring a mold and mildew problem will not only affect a homeowner's property value, but it can make some people really sick.
  • Dangerous mold in your home

    Dangerous mold could be growing in you home

    There are an estimated 400,000 types of mold, and about 1,000 of them are found indoors. Most forms of mold aren't an issue to your health or your home -- until you add water.
    The fuzzy stuff growing on your leftovers is not the only mold living inside your house. There are an estimated 400,000 types of mold, and about 1,000 of them are found indoors. Most forms of mold aren't an issue to your health or your home until you add water.

Sometimes, it's obvious to see that an area of your home is infected with mold. But many times, mold can be invisible to the naked eye.

"You can take 80,000 mold spores and put them on the head of a pen. The largest mold spore we ever saw at CDC under a microscope was only 6 microns.  So by the time you can physically see the growth of it there, imagine how many are there," explained Jim Phillips, a certified mold inspector. 

Smell is often times a good indicator you have mold. Another sign is sickness.

"There are some groups of patients that who may be immune compromised that may be more likely to have dangerous problems with molds and may get an infection in the lungs from mold or an infection in their sinuses. There's some conditions that can be quite dangerous. But for the majority of patients it's a respiratory irritant for them," said Tracy Bridges, M.D., a physician at Allergy & Asthma Clinics of Georgia.

Common areas for mold are crawl spaces under homes, in roofs and ceilings. And since we can't do much to control the weather, mold experts recommend constantly checking your home.

"Humidity above 59 to 60%, if you have that condition or if you have a leak or any sustained type of water there you're going to see these molds set up and grow. One of the biggest mistakes people can make living in their own home is to ignore it," said Phillips. 

Phillips says if you detect mold in your home, have it tested right away.

Symptoms of a sick house: (according to Critterad)

    - Unusual lingering odors, stale or stuffy air

    - Excessive humidity or dampness on walls, carpets, ceilings, or floors

    - Presence of molds and/or mildew

    - Watery eyes, itching, nasal congestion, headaches, coughing, wheezing, dizziness, and   fatigue

    - Feeling better away from home than at home

Copyright 2012 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Mouse droppings cause disease

    Mouse droppings cause respiratory disease

    Mice are one of the most resilient mammals living on the planet. Some people have them as pets, and they're also used in laboratory experiments. If wild mice get inside your house, they can potentially
    If wild mice find a way inside your home, they can potentially cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your drywall and insulation. They can also transmit a harmful disease which can cause death in humans. 
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
  • Hidden fire danger in your home

    Hidden fire danger is likely lurking in your home

    Since most us probably have a phone charger plugged in at home right now, we decided to do an investigation to see how exactly a phone charger can cause a fire.
    Since most us probably have a phone charger plugged in at home right now, we decided to do an investigation to see how exactly a phone charger can cause a fire.
Powered by WorldNow