Man's self-diagnosis a life saver from rare disease - AmericaNowNews.com

Man's self-diagnosis a life saver

  • Man's self-diagnosis a life saverMore>>

  • Are you a cyberchondriac?

    Don't become a cyberchondriac

    For years, Jamie Tarence and her husband were trying to start a family. Despite going to fertility specialists, nothing was happening. Then, she heard about a doctor in another state and started checking
    Now, when we feel under the weather, it's tempting to hit the internet to find a quick diagnosis. But these web searches lead us astray a whopping 20% of the time and can create a lot of false anxiety. Here's how to avoid becoming a cyber-chondriac.

Cincinnati native Rich Clifton spends his days tinkering with hot rods as a hobby, however, it used to be his handicraft. He spent 17 years running his own automotive repair shop, but had to give up that career in 2008.

"I didn't want to do that at first," said Clifton. "I struggled with it for a couple of years, and then just decided it was too much for me to work 45 hours a week and deal with this disease."

Clifton is talking about a disease that doctors struggled for months to diagnose.

Clifton's body would swell-- his face, hands, feet, and stomach expanding to disfiguring levels and without warning.

"I mean this is a nasty disease," Clifton said. "It's horrible."

For one year, the then 53-year-old was tested for everything from cancer to Rheumatoid Arthritis. He finally diagnosed himself with Hereditary Angioedema or HAE.

"I actually figured it out by myself on the Internet," said Clifton. "This disease is so rare you could go to 15 different doctors and never even catch it."

That's because only about one in 40,000 people have it.

The disease is normally passed down from parent to child, but not in Clifton's case. Dr. Jonathan Bernstein discovered Clifton had a mutated gene.

"These attacks are frequent in some patients," said Dr Bernstein. "[The attacks] can affect the stomach where they have abdominal swelling and pain, peripheral extremities swelling, they can have swelling of their genitalia. In the more ominous situation, they can swell in their neck and their throat. This is what can lead to potential asphyxiation or death."

HAE is not curable, but it is treatable. Clifton now takes two medications. He said Firyzir tackles the attacks within hours.

"There are many options now," said Dr. Bernstein. "Five years ago, there were no treatments like this."

Though not perfect, life is currently better for Clifton. He's able to travel. He and his wife visited their son in California for the first time in three years.

"I thought it was going to kill me," said Clifton. "Before I met Dr Bernstein, I thought I would die from this."

Copyright 2013 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Fugitive Friday: Central Virginia's Most Wanted

    Fugitive Friday: Central Virginia's Most Wanted

    Friday, July 25 2014 8:49 AM EDT2014-07-25 12:49:07 GMT
    Fugitive Fridays tracks down Central Virginia's most wanted. Take a look at the photos and see if you can help police track down these suspects.
    Fugitive Friday helps track down Central Virginia's Most Wanted.
  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
Powered by WorldNow