How to remove a stuck light bulb - AmericaNowNews.com

How to remove a stuck light bulb

Now a lot of people have had this problem. A light bulb stuck in the socket or broken off at the base.

You may have heard about using a raw, cut potato to get those broken light bulbs out of the socket. But does that really work?

Our home improvement expert Dailyn Matthews recommends against using a potato, saying, "Using a raw potato can introduce moisture into the socket and cause a short. But I've got some great tips about how to unstick a stuck light bulb."

First, when working with anything electrical, turn off the switch, unplug the lamp or turn off the flow of power at the breaker box. Put on a pair of sturdy work gloves, and of course eye protection.

If the bulb won't come out, try using a rubber jar opener - hold it close to the base of the bulb, and gently try to loosen it, but don't apply too much pressure. Let's say you've pressed too hard, and the bulb breaks off in your hand, or you're left with the base stuck in the socket. No need to panic!

Again make sure the electricity is turned off. You might want to create a little more access for yourself by removing the harp or the shade support. Then take some needle nosed pliers; insert them into the base of the bulb. Open the end creating outward pressure and twist. If that doesn't work try using a wad of duct tape. Push down onto the base, and unscrew. And there we are.

To prevent bulbs from sticking in the first place, simply wipe the base of the bulb and the socket before putting it in.

Copyright 2013 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Exclusive: Photos from Inside Anthony Sowell's Home

    Inside Look: Exclusives Photos Paint Disturbing Scene Inside Home of Anthony Sowell

    Saturday, May 1 2010 11:19 AM EDT2010-05-01 16:19:26 GMT
    GRAPHIC PICTURES: CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - It was one of the most gruesome sights in Cleveland crime history.
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
Powered by WorldNow