Is buying breast milk online safe? - AmericaNowNews.com

Health

Is buying breast milk online safe?

A medical journal published a report that found breast milk bought online was often highly contaminated.

Researchers bought and tested 101 breast milk samples and nearly three-fourths of the samples bought from women on the site, Only the Breast, contained high amounts of bacteria that could make babies sick.

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Assistant Professor Dr. Amanda Deel encourages mothers who receive and donate to do so through doctors.

"That milk has been tested and the donors are very educated in hand hygiene and proper storage of milk," she said. "You don't know if (the milk supplied via the Internet) is all human milk that's being sold. Secondly, you don't know how that milk was obtained."

After Pediatrics released the study, Only the Breast announced a change in its milk-sharing policies.

Copyright 2013 America Now. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Fugitive Friday: Central Virginia's Most Wanted

    Fugitive Friday: Central Virginia's Most Wanted

    Friday, July 25 2014 8:49 AM EDT2014-07-25 12:49:07 GMT
    Fugitive Fridays tracks down Central Virginia's most wanted. Take a look at the photos and see if you can help police track down these suspects.
    Fugitive Friday helps track down Central Virginia's Most Wanted.
  • Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Physicians warn against giving melatonin to children

    Parents desperate to get their troubled sleepers to bed are turning to synthetic melatonin, which is a supplement sold over the counter. But expert warn it could have adverse effects on child development.
    Many adults turn to sleep aids like melatonin, but now more parents are giving them to their kids, too. We talked to physicians to see what they had to say about how it could affect your child's development.
  • Six deadly foods for dogs

    Six deadly foods for dogs

    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. One woman found that out the hard way when her dog ate a bunch of grapes! Turns out, that's one of the most dangerous foods
    Every pet owner knows a dog can get into just about anything around the house. But these common snacks could be fatal for Fido.
Powered by WorldNow